Joshua Z. Willey, MD, MS
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
Dr. Joshua Willey is an Assistant Professor of Neurology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City and Assistant Attending Neurologist on the Stroke Service at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Willey received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University in 1999, his medical degree from Columbia University in 2003. After Neurology Residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, he completed a two-year neuro-epidemiology and stroke fellowship at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical center, when he also earned an MS in epidemiology. He joined the faculty of Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2009.
Dr. Willey has an outpatient clinical practice in neurology with a focus on cerebrovascular diseases and stroke, and attends on the inpatient stroke service.
He is actively involved in teaching of non-medical students in the health sciences campus, medical students in the pre-clinical and clinical years, and neurology residents and fellows. Dr. Willey is the neurology residency associate program director.
Dr. Willey's research is funded by the National Institutes of Health and has focused on risk factors for clinical and subclinical cerebrovascular disease in the Northern Manhattan Study. He is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Heart Association, and is a Fellow of American Neurological Association.
- Department of Neurology
Division of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease
- Vascular Neurology
Areas of Expertise
- Cerebrovascular Disease
(in addition to English)
Education & Training
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Columbia University Medical Center
Neurological Institute of New York710 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
- (212) 305-1710
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-1710
- (212) 305-1658
ColumbiaDoctors Tarrytown155 White Plains Road
Tarrytown, NY 10591
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, NYP Employee Plan, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- AgeWell [Medicare Managed Care, Special Needs Plan]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Capital District Physician Health Plan [Capital District Physician Health Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/GHI [Medicare Managed Care, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Leaf (Exchange), Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
- Local 1199 [Local 1199]
- MagnaCare [MagnaCare]
- Multiplan [Multiplan]
- MVP Health Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty, Medicare Managed Care]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), Medicare Managed Care, POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare Managed Care, SelectHealth, Special Needs Plan]
- WellCare [Medicaid Managed Care, Medicare Managed Care]
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-1710
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American Neurological Association
- Gold Humanism Society Student Teaching Award
- Lewis P Rowland Residency Teaching Award
- Stroke epidemiology
NIH / NINDS K23 073104
ML40787 A PHASE III PROSPECTIVE DOUBLE BLIND RANDOMIZED PLACEBO CONTROLLED TRIAL OF THOMBOLYSIS IN INAGING - ELIGIBLE LATE WINDOW PATIENTS TO ASSESS THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF TENECTEPLASE (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
May 20 2019 - May 20 2024
TESTING A RAPID OUTPATIENT MANAGEMENT STRATEGY ON PTSD, CARDIOVASCULAR AND REHOSPITALIZATION RISK IN TIA AND MINOR STROKE SURVIVORS EVALUATED IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2018 - Jun 30 2023
IMPACT OF PTSD ON CARDIOVASCULAR RISK IN SURVIVORS OF STROKE AND TRANSIENT ISCHEMIC ATTACK (Federal Gov)
Jun 20 2016 - Mar 31 2020
COMPARATIVE EFFECTIVENESS RANDOMIZED TRIAL TO IMPROVE STROKE CARE DELIVERY: C3FIT: COORDINATED, COLLABORATIVE, COMPREHENSIVE, FAMILY-BASED, INTEGRATED, AND TECHNOLOGY-ENABLED CARE (Private)
Feb 1 2019 - Jan 31 2020
SLEEP FOR STROKE MANAGEMENT AND RECOVERY TRIAL (SLEEP SMART) STROKE TRIAL (Federal Gov)
Aug 15 2018 - Jul 31 2019
PHASE IIIB, DOUBLE-BLIND, MULTICENTER STUDY TO EVALUATE THE EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF ALTEPLASE IN PATIENTS WITH MILD STROKE: RAPIDLY IMPROVING SYMPTOMS AND MINOR NEUROLOGIC DEFICITS (PRISMS) (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Jul 9 2014 - Jul 9 2019
A RANDOMIZED, DOUBLE-BLIND, MULTINATIONAL STUDY TO PREVENT MAJOR VASCULAR EVENTS WITH TICAGRELOR COMPARED TO ASPRIN (ASA) IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ISCHAEMIC STROKE OR TIA ] (P&S Industry Clinical Trial)
Apr 4 2014 - Apr 4 2019
NEUROLOGICAL EMERGENCIES TREATMENT TRIALS (Federal Gov)
May 1 2017 - Apr 30 2018
TRIAGE AND OUTPATIENT EVALUATION OF PATIENTS WITH TIA AND MINOR STROKE THE RAPID ACCESS VASCULAR EVALUATION-NEUROLOGY (RAVEN) APPROACH (NY State Gov)
Dec 31 2015 - Dec 30 2017
ENDOVASCULAR THERAPY FOLLOWING IMAGING EVALUATION FOR ISCHEMIC STROKE 3 (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2015 - Aug 31 2017
NEURO-VASCULAR DISEASE AS A CAUSE OF IMPAIRED MOBILITY (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2011 - Jan 31 2017
NEUROLOGICAL EMERGENCIES TREATMENT TRIALS (NETT)-POINT (Federal Gov)
Sep 1 2013 - Aug 31 2015
NEW YORK COLUMBIA COLLABORATIVE SPOTRIAS (Federal Gov)
Aug 1 2010 - Jul 31 2014
NEUROEPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING PROGRAM (Federal Gov)
Jul 1 1980 - Jun 30 2009
- Willey JZ, Claassen JC, Liberato B, Prabhakaran S. Hypertensive Encephalopathy with Prominent Bulbar Presentation. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006, Volume 21 (3), p. 210-212
- Willey JZ, Prabhakaran S, Delapaz R. Retroperitoneal infection complicated by bacterial meningitis and ventriculitis with secondary brainstem infarction. Neurocrit Care. 2007;6(3):192-4.
- Bateman BT, Claassen J, Willey JZ, Hirsch LJ, Mayer SA, Sacco RL, Schumacher HC. Convulsive status epilepticus after ischemic stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage: frequency, predictors, and impact on outcome in a large administrative dataset. Neurocrit Care. 2007;7(3):187-93.
- Claassen J, Bateman BT, Willey JZ, Inati S, Hirsch LJ, Mayer SA, Sacco RL, Schumacher HC. Generalized convulsive status epilepticus after nontraumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage: The nationwide inpatient sample. Neurosurgery. 2007 Jul;61(1):60-65.
- Willey JZ, Xu Q, Boden-Albala B, Paik MC, Moon YP, Sacco RL, Elkind MS. Lipid profile components and risk of ischemic stroke: the Northern Manhattan Study (NOMAS). Arch Neurol 2009; 66 (11): 1400-1406.
- Grinspan ZM, Willey JZ, Tullman MJ, Elkind MS. Clinical reasoning: A 28 year old pregnant woman with encephalopathy. Resident and Fellow Section. Neurology 2009, 73(15):e74-9.
- Willey JZ, Williams O, Boden-Albala B. Stroke literacy in central Harlem: a high risk stroke population. Neurology 2009; 73(23): 1950-6.
- Willey JZ, Moon YP, Paik MC, Boden-Albala B, Sacco RL, Elkind MS. Physical activity and risk of ischemic stroke in the Northern Manhattan Study (NOMAS). Neurology 2009; 73(21): 1774-9.
- Willey JZ, Paik MC, Sacco RL, Elkind MSV, Boden-Albala B. Social determinants of physical inactivity in the Northern Manhattan Study (NOMAS). J Community Health 2010 Dec;35(6):602-8.
- Willey JZ, Elkind MSV. “HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitors in the Treatment of Diseases of the Central Nervous System”. Arch Neurol 2010 Sep;67(9):1062-7.
- Willey JZ, Disla N, Moon YP, et al. Early depressed mood after stroke predicts long-term disability: The Northern Manhattan Study. Stroke 2010, Sep;41(9):1896-900.
- Willey JZ, Rodriguez CJ, Carlino R, et al. Race-ethnic differences in the relationship between lipid profile components and risk of myocardial infarction: the Northern Manhattan Study. Am Heart Journal 2011 May;161(5):886-92.
- Willey JZ, Moon YP, Paik, MC, et al. Lower prevalence of silent brain infarcts in the physically active: The Northern Manhattan Study. Neurology 2011; Jun 14;76(24):2112-8.
- Willey JZ, Elkind MSV. Do statins improve functional outcomes after acute ischemic stroke? Nature Reviews Neurology 2011 Jun 14;7(7):364-5
- Willey JZ, Mayer SA. Brain injury clinical trials: new agents or new statistics. Editorial on: The added value of ordinal analysis in clinical trials: an example in traumatic brain injury. Critical Care 2011; 15: 188
- Willey JZ, Stillman J, Rivolta JA, et al.“Too good to treat?” Outcomes in patients not receiving thrombolysis due to mild deficits or rapidly improving symptoms. Int J Stroke 2012, 7(3): 202-206
- Willey JZ, Khatri P, Khoury J, et al. Variability In The Use Of Intravenous Thrombolysis For Mild Stroke: Experience Across The SPOTRIAS Network. J Stroke and Cerebrovasc Dis 2011, Dec 14 (E pub ahead of print)
- Willey JZ, Petersen N, Dhamoon MS, et al. Safety of thrombolysis in patients over the age of 80. The Neurologist 2012; 18(2): 99-101
- Willey JZ. Of people admitted within 2 h of mild/improving stroke, 31% do not receive rtPA, although many of these people have poor outcomes. Evid Based Med 2012 Feb 18 (E pub ahead of print)
- Willey JZ, Rodriguez CJ, Moon YP, et al. Coronary death and myocardial infarction among Hispanics in the Northern Manhattan Study: exploring the Hispanic paradox. Ann Epidemiol 2012; 22 (5): 303-309.
- Willey JZ, Ortega-Gutierrez S, Petersen N, et al. Impact of acute ischemic stroke treatment in patients >80 years of age: The Specialized Program of Translational Resarch in Acute Stroke (SPOTRIAS) consortium experience. Stroke 2012 Jul 12 E pub ahead of print
- Weiss SA, Pisapia D, Mayer SA, Willey JZ, Lee K. Amyloid beta angiitis causing coma responsive to immunosuppression. Case Reports Pathol 2012; E pub Aug 23
- Willey JZ, Scarmeas N, Provenzano F, et al. White matter hyperintensity volume and risk of impaired mobility among older adults. J Neurol 2012; Nov 6 E pub ahead of print
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov